Friday 9 October 2015

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

This is a world divided by blood – red or silver.

The poverty-stricken Reds are commoners, living in the shadow of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from the Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.

Then Mare finds herself working at the Silver palace, in the midst of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.


I know most people have probably already read this, it hit the blogosphere quite hard when it first came out earlier in the year and now I finally know why! Because it was incredible! Everything from the world building to the diversity of the characters was amazing to read about.

I'm sure anything I talk about now has already been said so this is going to be short. First I want to talk about the world; the set up with the division of power is a fairly typical thing of dystopian fiction but what Aveyard did with the colour of blood and the power, both literal and social, was a fresh spin. Speaking of power,  the Queen could give Levana from The Lunar Chronicles a run for her money for best villain! She was so cruel and diabolical, she made me want to throw the book away!

Mare was a fantastic heroine. She wasn't all that smart or that tough but she wanted to do what she could to protect and provide for her family. So when a fluke of a chance came along, she took it and was immediately lost to a power struggle. What I loved was the peek inside the Silver world; Mare saw it wasn't just Silver versus Red, there was a whole complex hierarchy within. And of course that meant that nothing was simple as black and white, good and evil, there was a real struggle for doing the right thing. I am of course speaking of the prince brother Cal and Maven. I thought I knew where I stood and then I didn't, then I really didn't! Just... gah, that ending! The next book can't come quickly enough!

Published 12th February 2015 by Orion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment