Sunday 15 April 2012

Looking For Alaska by John Green

Publisher: HarperCollins
Published: 3rd March 2005
Pages: 272
Synopsis: 
Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words and tired of his safe life at home. He leaves for boarding school to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.


Review:
My first John Green novel and all I can say is it made me want the rest! I don't really know what I was expecting from his writing style and plot but it was incredibly well written and touching and funny.

The countdown gives you a constant feeling of dread and did an incredible job of keeping the suspense. I adore the friendship Miles and Alaska and the Colonel has, couldn't wait to find out more of Alaska's past and the reasons for her complete scatty-ness.

It's not a typical 'happily-ever-after' romance novel, it will make you sad - trust me, I cried - but the story of love stays with you. The characters were brilliantly quirky, mad and funny, searching for their own sense of closure. I would happily recommend this to anyone.

2 comments:

  1. :D I'm SO glad you loved this. Now for The Fault in Our Stars?? :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review for a great book, I found this so hard to review as I loved it so much, glad you enjoyed it. Try Paper Towns next, I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete