Friday 10 July 2015

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Lara Jean keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. One for every boy she's ever loved. When she writes, she can pour out her heart and soul and say all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly Lara Jean's love life goes from imaginary to out of control...

This was a treat to myself, a sweet, lovey-dovey contemporary that I've had my eye on for a while. And I'm really glad I finally picked it up, it was funny, fun to read, a little embarrassing but incredibly romantic. 

Lara Jean wants to avoid the embarrassment of Josh finding out she used to fancy him, by pretend dating another former crush Peter. As things go on, lines get blurry and it doesn't feel pretend anymore. As I was reading, I wasn't sure who I should have been cheering for! It was almost a love triangle but not really, as Lara Jean moves on from an unrequited love to a possible real one. 

There was also a great relationship between the sisters, as they all had to do their part around the house after losing their mother when they were young. And as the eldest heads off to university, there is a change in the family dynamic and Lara Jean has to set up. 

This story was nice and light hearted, nothing too complicated but still real. There were some great characters, and some very funny interactions as Lara Jean tries to balance the lies with her feelings and her family. A fun rom-com of a book, perfect for summer reading, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

Published 7th August 2014 by Scholastic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment