Wednesday 22 April 2015

Remix by Non Pratt

From the author of Trouble comes a new novel about boys, bands and best mates.

Kaz is still reeling from being dumped by the love of her life... Ruby is bored of hearing about it. Time to change the record.

Three days. Two best mates. One music festival. Zero chance of everything working out.


As I learned from Trouble, I can expect a great insight into the teenage brain with Non's novels and Remix was an amazing example of female friendship and how secrets and boys can ruin things but luckily there are some things stronger than mistakes. This story was told from the dual perspective of best friend's Kaz and Ruby as they go away to a music festival.

All that you might expect happens: flirting, bed hopping, gossip and rumours abound, and secrets get in the way of that best friendship. I loved Kaz and Ruby's relationship - they were both the sister neither of them had. They were both getting over boys and having such a close friend, plus being away from parents and rules at the festival, was just what they needed. But fate intervenes and things quickly get out of control and secrets get in the way of their friendship.

I adored this story; I literally flew through it and everything had me glued to the page, from the girls, the group of friends, to the music vibe and the scandalous behaviour. I've said it before and I'll say it again: Non can really write teenagers. I loved how real it all was - sometimes, despite your best intentions, you make mistakes and that can nearly break a relationship. But if you have a true friend, it won't matter because you still care about each other. And that's what I found so heart-warming about Kaz and Ruby: yeah, they fought and drifted apart but real friends will come when you need them.

Published 4th June 2015 by Walker Books.

No comments:

Post a Comment