Sunday 4 January 2015

Weekly Highlights: the 'Happy New Year' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!

The new year is off to a fine start! I've had a few days off work, starting back again today, so I've had a chance to de-clutter my room after Christmas, spend some Christmas money and had a relaxing few days. Hope everyone else has had a relaxing, reading-filled break and a happy new year!


On The Blog
Review of My True Love Gave To Me by Stephanie Perkins (5 stars)
Review of Breaking The Rules by Katie McGarry (5 stars)


Currently Reading
I've just started The Night Circus, which I've been looking forward to for ages! Can't wait to get stuck in to this magical story.


On My Bookshelf
Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson
It was Sloane who yanked Emily out of her shell and made life 100% interesting. But right before what should have been the most epic summer, Sloane just...disappears. All she leaves behind is a to-do list.

On it, thirteen Sloane-inspired tasks that Emily would normally never try. But what if they could bring her best friend back?

Apple picking at night? Okay, easy enough. Dance until dawn? Sure. Why not? Kiss a stranger? Um...

Emily now has this unexpected summer, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected), to check things off Sloane's list. Who knows what she'll find?

Go skinny-dipping? 
Wait...what?

I treated myself to this as it was in the Kindle sale - it's been on my wishlist for a while and it sounds like an amazing summer rom-com.

Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done by Sarah Mlynowski
2 girls + 3 guys + 1 house – parents = 10 things April and her friends did that they (definitely, maybe, probably) shouldn't have.

If given the opportunity, what sixteen-year-old wouldn't jump at the chance to move in with a friend and live parent-free? Although maybe "opportunity" isn't the right word, since April had to tell her dad a tiny little untruth to make it happen (see #1: "Lied to Our Parents"). But she and her housemate Vi are totally responsible and able to take care of themselves. How they ended up "Skipping School" (#3), "Throwing a Crazy Party" (#8), "Buying a Hot Tub" (#4), and, um, "Harboring a Fugitive" (#7) at all is kind of a mystery to them.


Ah, the joys of getting book tokens for Christmas! I've had my eye on this since I read her latest book so I can't wait to see what else she has in store.

Lips Touch by Laini Taylor

Three tales of supernatural love, each pivoting on a kiss that is no mere kiss, but an action with profound consequences for the kissers' souls:

Goblin Fruit
In Victorian times, goblin men had only to offer young girls sumptuous fruits to tempt them to sell their souls. But what does it take to tempt today's savvy girls?

Spicy Little Curses
A demon and the ambassador to Hell tussle over the soul of a beautiful English girl in India. Matters become complicated when she falls in love and decides to test her curse.

Hatchling
Six days before Esme's fourteenth birthday, her left eye turns from brown to blue. She little suspects what the change heralds, but her small safe life begins to unravel at once. What does the beautiful, fanged man want with her, and how is her fate connected to a mysterious race of demons?

I love Laini Taylor and I absolutely love the poem The Goblin Market - one of the only poems I actually like, incidentally! - so I am really looking forward to this.

I also got City of Glass, Fallen Angels, and Lost Souls, books 3-5 in the Mortal Instrument series by Cassandra Clare. As soon as I get my hands on the last book, I'm going to marathon the series.

2015/January TBR
This year, I'm aiming for 120 book. Considering I managed 135 last year, I think I'll be ok! Coming up in January will be some of my new books, I'm thinking The Coldest Girl in Coldtown and Ten Things We Shouldn't Have Done. Then it's up to my TBR jar!

In other news, I will be joining in the new year Bout of Books! I haven't done one of these since last summer and I think it's a great way to kick off the new year with lots of good reading. Plus, I don't know about you, but I've been looking at all my new books and having little panics because I want to read them all right now! Anyway, Bout of Books starts tomorrow, Monday 5th, until next Sunday. Since I don't know my work schedule yet, I'm just going to aim for two books and see how I go. Click here if you want to join in the fun.

1 comment:

  1. Both of those are awesome and I can't wait for you to marathon TMI!

    ReplyDelete