Sunday 11 August 2013

Weekly Highlights: the "who's library" edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things! 


It has been a week of awesome and mostly bookish things! I've been volunteering at the library with the Summer Reading Challenge a lot, went to the cinema to (finally!) go see Monsters University, and the library was having a book sale and I spotted a few bargains - which will be revealed On My Bookshelf. All in all, a great week!

On The Blog
Review of Dead Romantic by CJ Skuse - 4 stars
Review of The Weight of Souls by Bryony Pearce - 4 Stars


Currently Reading
The second in the Demon Trappers series, Forbidden, by Jana Oliver, as well as A Riveting Affair, a Steampunk anthology of three short stories. Both are really cool and I'm really enjoying!


On My Bookshelf
All Our Yesterdays by Cristin Terrill
Em is locked in a bare, cold cell with no comforts. Finn is in the cell next door. The Doctor is keeping them there until they tell him what he wants to know. Trouble is, what he wants to know hasn’t happened yet. 

Em and Finn have a shared past, but no future unless they can find a way out. The present is torture – being kept apart, overhearing each other’s anguish as the Doctor relentlessly seeks answers. There’s no way back from here, to what they used to be, the world they used to know. Then Em finds a note in her cell which changes everything. It’s from her future self and contains some simple but very clear instructions. Em must travel back in time to avert a tragedy that’s about to unfold. Worse, she has to pursue and kill the boy she loves to change the future . . .


Yay, I can finally find out what all the hype is about! Thank you Bloomsbury and Netgalley for my e-copy, I'm really looking forward to this!


Who-ology by Cavan Scott

Do you know your Sontarans from your Silurians? What are the 40 best ways to defeat a Dalek? What are the galactic coordinates of Gallifrey?

Test your knowledge of the last Time Lord and the worlds he's visited in Who-ology, an unforgettable journey through 50 years of Doctor Who.

Packed with facts, figures and stories from the show's entire run, this unique tour of space and time takes you from Totters Lane to Trenzalore, taking in guides to UNIT call signs, details of the inner workings of sonic screwdrivers, and a reliability chart covering every element of the TARDIS.

With tables, charts and illustrations dotted throughout, as well as fascinating lists and exhaustive detail, you won't believe the wonders that await. Are you ready? Then read on, you clever boy. And remember.


This was a moment of weakness in Waterstones but it's so pretty and I love it!


Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith

The Awakening: Elena Gilbert is used to getting what she wants and she wants mysterious new boy, Stefan. But Stefan is hiding a deadly secret - a secret that will change Elena's life for ever ...

The Struggle: Elena is torn between her boyfriend, Stefan, and his brother, Damon. But these brothers hide dark secrets and a tragic past that threatens them all. Damon wants to lead Elena astray - and he'd rather kill Stefan than let him possess her ...


Yay for library sales! Snatched this up for 50p! I haven't read the books before, and honestly I kind of lost my place in the series and never bothered to catch up so maybe this will prompt it. Either way, looking forward to another vampire YA series.


Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist
After a chance encounter, Nick and Norah embark of a journey through New York's indie rock scene on a quest to find the secret show of a legendary band, and wind up finding each other. 

Yeah, so kinda cheating here, as it isn't a book. But it's a movie based on a book and it is awesome! Another find in the library sale. 

4 comments:

  1. I liked The Vampire Diaries but can't really remember it now. Must read it again soon!
    All Our Yesterdays looks fab and I'm hoping to read it soon because I've also got it to review.

    Happy reading, Anya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You finally got the Who=ology book! Nick & Norah is excellent - I do love me some Michael Cera ;) I have to admit that I hate the TVD books even though I love the show so I'll be really interested to see what ou think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Vampire Diaries books (in my opinion) are TERRIBLE and totally not worth reading at all. Love the TV show though. Nick & Norah is one of my favourite books and films of all time though so I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't realise Nick & Norah is a film! Still have yet to read the book though.... Hope you like All Our Yesterdays, I thought it was really good :-)

    ReplyDelete