Sunday 5 June 2016

Weekly Highlights: the 'June TBR' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!

What with it being half term and my lovely term-time only contract allowing me some much needed time off, I took the week off from blog writing (read: forgot to write anything). The time, obviously, didn't seem to last very long but I got loads of stuff done that I've been putting off so that's good, plus I had the luxurious time to read A Court of Mist and Fury. 


On The Blog
Review of Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
Review of Soldier by Julie Kagawa
Review of The Girl of Ink and Stars by Kiran Milwood Hargrave
Review of The Loneliness of Distant Beings by Kate Ling
Review of Never Evers by Tom Ellen and Lucy Ivison
Review of London Belongs To Us by Sarra Manning

Currently Reading
At time of writing, I've just This Song Will Save Your Life by Leila Sales, which I'm really looking forward to delving into.

On My Bookshelf
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J Maas
Feyre is immortal.

After rescuing her lover Tamlin from a wicked Faerie Queen, she returns to the Spring Court possessing the powers of the High Fae. But Feyre cannot forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin's people - nor the bargain she made with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court.

As Feyre is drawn ever deeper into Rhysand's dark web of politics and passion, war is looming and an evil far greater than any queen threatens to destroy everything Feyre has fought for. She must confront her past, embrace her gifts and decide her fate.

She must surrender her heart to heal a world torn in two.


Yes! I devoured this 600 page monster this past week and holy crap! I have both no words and so many words! Review will be up soon.

The Problem with Forever by Jennifer L Armentrout
When Mallory was a kid, she was bounced from one horrible foster home to another. At thirteen, a terrible accident got her removed from the group home where she was living to a hospital where she met the parents who would adopt her. But when she starts a new school and encounters an old friend from the foster system sparks start to fly.

I really like Armentrout's books so I have quite high hopes for this. Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley.

 Nimona by Noelle Stevenson
Nemeses! Dragons! Science! Symbolism! All these and more await in this brilliantly subversive, sharply irreverent epic from Noelle Stevenson. Featuring an exclusive epilogue not seen in the web comic, along with bonus conceptual sketches and revised pages throughout, this gorgeous full-color graphic novel is perfect for the legions of fans of the web comic and is sure to win Noelle many new ones.

Nimona is an impulsive young shapeshifter with a knack for villainy. Lord Ballister Blackheart is a villain with a vendetta. As sidekick and supervillain, Nimona and Lord Blackheart are about to wreak some serious havoc. Their mission: prove to the kingdom that Sir Ambrosius Goldenloin and his buddies at the Institution of Law Enforcement and Heroics aren't the heroes everyone thinks they are.

But as small acts of mischief escalate into a vicious battle, Lord Blackheart realizes that Nimona's powers are as murky and mysterious as her past. And her unpredictable wild side might be more dangerous than he is willing to admit.


When We Collided by Emery Lord
Meet Vivi and Jonah: A girl and a boy whose love has the power save or destroy them.

Vivi and Jonah couldn't be more different. Vivi craves anything joyful or beautiful that life can offer. Jonah has been burdened by responsibility for his family ever since his father died. As summer begins, Jonah resigns himself to another season of getting by. Then Vivi arrives, and suddenly life seems brighter and better. Jonah is the perfect project for Vivi, and things finally feel right for Jonah. Their love is the answer to everything. But soon Vivi's zest for life falters, as her adventurousness becomes true danger-seeking. Jonah tries to keep her safe, but there's something important Vivi hasn't told him.


Frenchman's Creek by Daphne Du Maurier
The Restoration Court knows Lady Dona St Columb to be ripe for any folly, any outrage that will relieve the tedium of her days. But there is another, secret Dona who longs for a life of honest love - and sweetness, even if it is spiced with danger. Dona flees London for remote Navron, looking for peace of mind in its solitary woods and hidden creeks. She finds there the passion her spirit craves - in the love of a daring pirate hunted across Cornwall, a Frenchman who, like Dona, would gamble his life for a moment's joy. 

These 3 I've been eyeing for a while and with pay day just before half term, I treated myself. I'm looking forward to all of them and thank you to Sophie for recommending my next Du Maurier.

I was also sent some lovely books from the equally lovely Sophie: The Unexpected Everything by Morgan Matson, Under Rose Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall, Night Wanderers by CJ Flood and Mystery and Mayham by Katherine Woodfine and others. Links go to their Goodreads pages. I've already read The Unexpected Everything, which was awesome!

June TBR
I didn't have time to get to my new Armentrout book so that's top of the pile. Also on the list is Songs About A Girl by Chris Russell, Under Rose Tainted Skies and of course my classic pick for the month: Frenchman's Creek. Is there anything from my recent haul I should push to the top of my TBR?

1 comment: