Sunday 3 January 2016

Weekly Highlights: the 'Post-Christmas/New Year TBR' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!

Happy New Year guys! Hopefully by now you have recovered from any celebrating you might have done and have got the new year off to a good start, reading wise. I've gone back to work this weekend after nearly two weeks off - unintentionally, as the library was closed Christmas weekend - and I am surprisingly tired but I'm glad to be back in the swing of things. 


On The Blog
Review of The Girl in the Mask by Marie-Louise Jensen (4 stars)
Review of the Splintered trilogy by AG Howard (4 stars)
Review of Unsticky by Sarra Manning (5 stars)
Review of Inferno by Catherine Doyle (5 stars)

Currently Reading
I'm reading the Love By Numbers trilogy by Sarah MacLean, just pure indulgence on my part but still easy to read and very sweet. I'm also reading Drew, The Changers book 1, which is something new.

On My Bookshelf
The Appearance of Annie Van Sinderen by Katherine Howe
It’s summertime in New York City, and aspiring filmmaker Wes Auckerman has just arrived to start his summer term at NYU. While shooting a séance at a psychic’s in the East Village, he meets a mysterious, intoxicatingly beautiful girl named Annie.

As they start spending time together, Wes finds himself falling for her, drawn to her rose petal lips and her entrancing glow. But there’s something about her that he can’t put his finger on that makes him wonder about this intriguing hipster girl from the Village. Why does she use such strange slang? Why does she always seem so reserved and distant? And, most importantly, why does he only seem to run into her on one block near the Bowery? Annie’s hiding something, a dark secret from her past that may be the answer to all of Wes’s questions . . .
 

I snatched this up when a review copy was offered - seances, ghost girls and dark romance? Yes please! Thank you Rock The Boat!

The Next Together by Lauren James
How many times can you lose the person you love? 

Katherine and Matthew are destined to be born again and again, century after century. Each time, their presence changes history for the better, and each time, they fall hopelessly in love, only to be tragically separated. 

Spanning the Crimean War, the Siege of Carlisle and the near-future of 2019 and 2039 they find themselves sacrificing their lives to save the world. But why do they keep coming back? What else must they achieve before they can be left to live and love in peace? 

Maybe the next together will be different...

This has been on my wishlist ever since it came out! Thank you Secret Santa!

Ruby Red trilogy by Kirsten Gier
Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighborhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-traveling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-traveling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any century . . . .


Christmas present from my fiancé - I read the first book like two years ago but not the rest of the trilogy so he got me the box set! He knows how much I love matching covers

How To Build A Girl by Caitlin Moran
My name’s Johanna Morrigan. I’m fourteen, and I’ve just decided to kill myself.

I don’t really want to die, of course! I just need to kill Johanna, and build a new girl. Dolly Wilde will be everything I want to be, and more! But as with all the best coming-of-age stories, it doesn’t exactly go to plan…


Picked this up in my charity shop - I've heard all sorts of good things but never read anything of hers so I thought I'd give it a try!

Judged by Liz de Jager
Kit's job description includes solving crimes - the supernatural kind . .

Glow, a fae-created drug, is rapidly going viral and the suppliers have to be shut down. Teaming up with Aiden and Dante, Kit follows leads across London, tracking down dealers. They stir up trouble, making themselves a target for the gang they're trying to stop.

In the Otherwhere, Thorn stumbles across a secret that could destroy both the human and Fae worlds. The Veil that separates our human world from the fae realms is weakening and the goddess is dying. And if she dies and the Veil fails, madness and chaos will wreak unstoppable havoc upon both lands.

Thorn turns to the only person he knows who'll be able to help him: Kit. Torn between working the Glow case and her loyalty for the young prince, Kit is propelled headlong into a world of danger. She faces enemies from both the Otherwhere and our world. And as the stakes are raised, the consequence of failure for both Kit and Thorn, and two realms, could be devastating.


This was a surprise review book - book three in the Blackhart Legacy series, I haven't read the first books but Sophie has been bugging me for months to pick them up, so I'm taking this as a sign! Thank you Pan Macmillan!

January TBR
Start of the new year, how exciting! I'm doing a few reading challenges this year, details later this week, so I've got a few books in mind to get me off on a good start. I've also got a few review books to get a head start on. Let me know what you're planning on starting the new year reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment