Sunday 31 January 2016

Weekly Highlights: the 'February TBR' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!

Now, I don't know about you but for me, January has been a slow month. I've been getting stuff ready to start my new job tomorrow and the anticipation is making time move really slowly! Speaking of which, I have some news: because of my new job and extra hours, I'm going to be working a lot and so I have no idea how much time I'm going to have to read and blog. But I will be on twitter and I've made an Instagram account which you can find here, where I will keep you all up to date on my reading and pretty new books. 

On The Blog
Review of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (3.5 stars)
Review of The Next Together by Lauren James (5 stars)
Review of Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson (4 stars)
Review of The Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas (5 stars)

Currently Reading
White Wolf by David Gemmell - not my usual thing but it's my fiancé's favourite book and he wants me to read it. 

On My Bookshelf
Crush by Eve Ainsworth
Love hurts ... but should it hurt this much? Reeling from her mum's sudden departure, Anna finds the comfort she needs in her blossoming relationship with Will. He's handsome and loving, everything Anna has always dreamt of. He's also moody and unpredictable, pushing her away from her friends, her music. He wants her to be his and his alone. He wants her to be perfect. Anna's world is closing in. But threatening everything is a dark secret that not even Will can control... Eve Ainsworth's gripping second novel is a pitch-perfect exploration of love at its most powerful, addictive and destructive.

I'll admit, I'm a little worried about reading this, I know it's going to be rough as it's based around such a difficult subject. Saying that, Eve Ainsworth's writing is supposed to be fantastic so I'm excited. Thank you Faye Rogers PR and Scholastic! 

Legend by Marie Lu
What was once the western United States is now home to the Republic, a nation perpetually at war with its neighbors. 

Born into an elite family in one of the Republic's wealthiest districts, fifteen-year-old June is a prodigy being groomed for success in the Republic's highest military circles. 

Born into the slums, fifteen-year-old Day is the country's most wanted criminal. But his motives may not be as malicious as they seem. 

From very different worlds, June and Day have no reason to cross paths - until the day June's brother, Metias, is murdered and Day becomes the prime suspect. 
Caught in the ultimate game of cat and mouse, Day is in a race for his family's survival, while June seeks to avenge Metias's death. But in a shocking turn of events, the two uncover the truth of what has really brought them together, and the sinister lengths their country will go to keep its secrets.


I bought the whole trilogy for less than a tenner! I do love The Works!

Maresi by Marie Turtschaninoff
Maresi came to the Red Abbey when she was thirteen, in the Hunger Winter. Before then, she had only heard rumours of its existence in secret folk tales. In a world where girls aren't allowed to learn or do as they please, an island inhabited solely by women sounded like a fantasy. But now Maresi is here, and she knows it is real. She is safe.

Then one day Jai tangled fair hair, clothes stiff with dirt, scars on her back arrives on a ship. She has fled to the island to escape terrible danger and unimaginable cruelty. And the men who hurt her will stop at nothing to find her.

Now the women and girls of the Red Abbey must use all their powers and ancient knowledge to combat the forces that wish to destroy them. And Maresi, haunted by her own nightmares, must confront her very deepest, darkest fears.

A story of friendship and survival, magic and wonder, beauty and terror, Maresi will grip you and hold you spellbound.


I've heard just incredible things about this so I can't wait to read it for myself! Thank you Netgalley!

How Hard Can Love Be? by Holly Bourne
All Amber wants is a little bit of love. Her mum has never been the caring type, even before she moved to California, got remarried and had a personality transplant. But Amber's hoping that spending the summer with her can change all that.

And then there's prom king Kyle, the guy all the girls want. Can he really be interested in anti-cheerleader Amber? Even with best friends Evie and Lottie's advice, there's no escaping the fact: love is hard.


I've finally got my hands on this! I have no words for how excited I am for this!

Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
During an eventful season at Bath, young, naïve Catherine Morland experiences the joys of fashionable society for the first time. She is delighted with her new acquaintances: flirtatious Isabella, who shares Catherine's love of Gothic romance and horror, and sophisticated Henry and Eleanor Tilney, who invite her to their father's mysterious house, Northanger Abbey. There, her imagination influenced by novels of sensation and intrigue, Catherine imagines terrible crimes committed by General Tilney. With its broad comedy and irrepressible heroine, this is the most youthful and and optimistic of Jane Austen's works.

And finally, I treated myself to one of my most anticipated reads and my own copy of my favourite classic. This will be my February book for the Classics Challenge. 


February TBR
Apart from the above, I also want to read the Ruby Red trilogy by Kerstin Gier and The Island which is coming out early March.

No comments:

Post a Comment