Sunday 13 December 2015

Weekly Highlights: the 'Mixed Emotions' edition



Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!

Oh hey, it's been a while! I'm sorry for the sudden radio silence, it's been a hectic few weeks. I haven't felt so good, trust me you don't want the details so let's just say "girly stuff", and then last Monday I found out some really bad news about one of my best friends from school. Suffice to say, after finding out another friend had been taken from us too soon, I wasn't up to much reading or reviewing. And then I needed some cheering up so I spent a few days with Sophie, of So Many Books So Little Time. I hadn't seen my bestie since the summer so it was great to spend some time with her and have a fun day out in London where we spent probably too long with Waterstones Piccadilly and Foyles. 


On The Blog

Oops! With any luck, I'll be back this week.


Currently Reading
Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce - after the Splintered trilogy, I'm on a bit of a fairy tale kick so I'm enjoying this. I'm also listening to my first audiobook, Rose Under Fire - it's interesting listening instead of reading.

On My Bookshelf
The Incredible Adventures of Cinnamon Girl by Melissa Keil
Alba loves her life just as it is. She loves living behind the bakery, and waking up in a cloud of sugar and cinnamon. She loves drawing comics and watching bad TV with her friends.

The only problem is she’s overlooked a few teeny details:

Like, the guy she thought long gone has unexpectedly reappeared.
And the boy who has been her best friend since forever has suddenly gone off the rails. 
And even her latest comic-book creation is misbehaving.

Also, the world might be ending – which is proving to be awkward.

As Doomsday enthusiasts flock to idyllic Eden Valley, Alba’s life is thrown into chaos. Whatever happens next, it’s the end of the world as she knows it. But when it comes to figuring out her heart, Armageddon might turn out to be the least of her problems.

South of Sunshine by Dana Elmendorf
What is Kaycee willing to risk for the sake of love?
And what will she risk for acceptance?

In Sunshine, Tennessee, the main event in town is Friday night football, the biggest party of the year is held in a field filled with pickup trucks, and church attendance is mandatory. For Kaycee Jean McCoy, life in Sunshine means dating guys she has no interest in, saying only “yes, ma’am” when the local bigots gossip at her mom’s cosmetics salon, and avoiding certain girls at all costs. Girls like Bren Dawson.

Unlike Kaycee, Bren doesn’t really conceal who she is. But as the cool, worldly new girl, nobody at school seems to give her any trouble. Maybe there’s no harm if Kaycee gets closer to her too, as long as she can keep that part of her life a secret, especially from her family and her best friend. But the more serious things get with Bren, the harder it is to hide from everyone else. Kaycee knows Sunshine has a darker side for people like her, and she’s risking everything for the chance to truly be herself.
 

These two are e-proofs, quite different but both I am really excited about. Thank you Netgalley!

And then we have my haul from London:
Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson
Second Chance Summer by Morgan Matson
Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
Beautiful Broken Things by Sara Barnard
Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter
All The Rage by Courtney Summers
Longbow Girl by Linda Davies
The Lost and the Found by Cat Clarke
How My Summer Went Up in Flames by Jennifer Salvato Doktorski

So, quite a few! The top two I bought myself in Waterstones and the rest are hand-me-downs from Sophie. Links go to Goodreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment