Saturday 7 June 2014

YALC: read-a-thon

Having booked tickets to London Film and Comic Con, to go to the first Young Adult Literature Convention, it took me a couple of days to realise that I haven't read a book by some of the authors I will be seeing. And I just think that's a bit rude. So, naturally, I've decided to raid my library and make amends and read at least one book by the authors I will be seeing on the Saturday (because that's the day I'm going). I'm gonna be honest, I picked Saturday because of Malorie Blackman and Rainbow Rowell, but I am going to miss meeting Tanya Byrne and Sarra Manning on the Sunday - I'm sorry, I couldn't afford a hotel!

Here is the list of authors appearing on the Saturday and my reading status:
Amy McCulloch
Andrew Lane 

Andy Robb - read Geekhood
Byrony Pearce - read Weight of Souls
Catherine Johnson

Charlie Higson - read Young James Bond
CJ Skuse - read Dead Romantic and Rockoholic
Darren Shan - read A Living Nightmare (Cirque du Freak 1)
Derek Landy
Emma Viecelli
Frances Hardinge
Holly Bourne - read Soulmates

James Smyth
Jonathan Stroud 
Kim Curran
Lucy Saxon 
Malorie Blackman - read Hacker
Marcus Sedgewick
Natasha Ngan 
Patrick Ness 
Rainbow Rowell - read Attachments, Eleanor and Park, Fangirl
Sarah Crossan - read Breathe and Resist
Sarah McIntyre
Steve Cole
Tim O'Rourke
Will Hill

Wow, that wasn't as many I thought! A few I've heard of but haven't read because it's not my genre or target audience but I will try them. And honestly, some I haven't heard of at all, which makes me feel bad.  

Fast forward a few weeks and Carly, Michelle and Jess have announced they are hosting a YALC read-a-thon at the end of June. Er, yes please! So bring on my goals:
 
I'm going to buy Pretty Bad Things by CJ Skuse; borrow the following from the library: Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, Geekhood 2 by Andy Robb, The Oathbreaker's Shadow by Amy McCulloch, The Screaming Staircase by Jonathon Stroud. I also have Take Back the Skies by Lucy Saxon, courtesy of Netgalley. Making that a total so far of 6. Not sure if that's over ambitious but even if I over-run, I will read all these damn books!

Just need to figure out where I'm going to get a copy of The Elites by Natasha Ngan, and which Patrick Ness/Marcus Sedgewick book to read. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

  1. Do you want to say at mine the Saturday night so you can do the Sunday as well? I'll be doing both days but coming in on the train from home for both - I'm only 50 minutes away.

    ReplyDelete