So here goes, my reading habits and sort of anything I do that relates to reading:
- The covers of hardbacks: I believe that most people take them off to read the book, so the cover doesn't get damaged. I usually do but I find it depends on the length of the book. For example, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is nearly 600 pages or something, meaning there is a big gap between hardback and paper cover when you open it, so I take it off. But Velveteen by Daniel Marks is nearly 400 pages and I kept that cover on fine.
- Bookmarks: I inadvertently collect them. Sometimes on purpose, like I have a crap-load (technical term) of Harry Potter and Doctor Who bookmarks, but I also quite often get them as presents, like my St Michael's Mount bookmark.
- Where you stop reading: I've noticed that other bloggers that have done this say they have to stop in a certain place on the page. I am very similar. If I can't reach the end of a chapter, I have to at least finish the top paragraph on the left page. Obviously I can't do this on my kindle, so I either finish the chapter or the first paragraph.
- I have developed the unfortunate habit of reading many, many ebooks at the same time. Sometimes I have started one and then start another, just to go back. Or I start one then get distracted by a new one, like I did with Alice in Wonderland.
- Linked to this is the similarly unfortunate habit of collecting e-books. I think, at least in my case, it's because they do not take up any room so it's like I don't have very many.
- So this might be a bit personal, but I like to read in the bath. And while I eat breakfast. And during lunch and dinner, if I can! I can remember a conversation while I was in primary school when my friends were shocked to find that I read while eating, and I didn't understand why it was a big deal. I can't be the only one who does that, right? I can pretty much read anywhere, indoors or out, on a train, in the sun, curled up on my bed, even with the TV on if the book's gripping enough, but not on the bus or car. That gives me a headache. Probably because of the movement, like a travel sickness thing.
- Blogging notebook: I've noticed that many of my blogger friends do make notes while reading and I have never really done that. Do I just have a really good memory, or am I not getting it? I do tend to make my notes in blogger as a draft; does this count?
Anyone else read in the bath? Or shower, although I do no understand how? How about collect bookmarks or do you just use scraps of paper or train tickets? Are your book habits different from kindle habits? Let me know your reading habits in the comments!