Tuesday 25 April 2017

Top Ten Book Turn-Offs

Top Ten Tuesday was created by The Broke and The Bookish.

1 - Love triangles 
These are the bane of my reading existence. I believe that you cannot be in love with more than one person at a time; love yes but in love? No. So when Bella is confused over Edward and Jacob, I want to slap her upside the head. 

2 - Complicated magical worlds 
Sometimes they work and I love them but if I don't get invested or have a basic understanding early on, I can't be bothered. Case in point: Kate Daniel's Magic Bites series, gave up after 20 pages because there was so many creatures and magic rules set out that I lost track.

3 - Sports
I don't do sports. Not in real life, not in reading. My idea of exercise is holding the book above my head, so I don't really want to read about football teams, cheer-leading or rugby. The one exception being Wing Jones, which was amazing and I loved it.

4 - Motorcycle gangs 
Read one, from one of my favourite authors, and the sexism hurt. Not sure I want to try another.

5 - Mary-Sue protagonists 
You know the ones, the ones that whine, that complain about boys, think there are plain looking but are never short of dates. This is the reason I only lasted 13 pages into the Vampire Diaries because Elena was bloody awful.

6 - Instalove
You can't be in love with that guy, you literally bumped into him ten minutes ago! Stop swooning about his eyes or his hair or his arms and actually talk to him, you nutcase! 

7 - Psychological thrillers
I can read these but definitely not often, they creep the bejesus out of me! Also, is it better or worse knowing that there's a twist coming?

8 - Violence
Not completely, I love a good stabby book about assassins as much as the next person, but violence for violence's sake? No thanks, that's just mean and gruesome. 

I think that's actually it! I'm sure there are more but these are the general ones. Please let me know if you share any of these turn offs or if there are any you would have added. 

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha - really great list. I agree with all of these, especially the instalove and sports - they don't do it for me at all!

    ReplyDelete