Sunday 2 October 2016

Weekly Highlights: the 'October TBR' edition




Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!


Ah, October - orange leaves, a nip in the air and most importantly: my birthday! September has been pretty full on, as I expected. Work has been manic with new students and the sudden increase in hours has nearly killed me. Never mind, it's nearly my birthday and then it's half term!

On The Blog
Some of my favourite posts from the last month:
Review of We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson (4 stars)
Review of Double Down by Gwenda Bond (4 stars)
Review of And I Darken by Kiersten White (5 stars)
Review of I Capture The Castle by Dodie Smith (4 stars)

Currently Reading
As mentioned in my Friday Reads, I'm reading The Last Beginning and Empire of Storms.

On My Bookshelf
Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5)Empire of Storms by Sarah J Maas
The long path to the throne has only just begun for Aelin Galathynius. Loyalties have been broken and bought, friends have been lost and gained, and those who possess magic find themselves at odds with those who don't.
As the kingdoms of Erilea fracture around her, enemies must become allies if Aelin is to keep those she loves from falling to the dark forces poised to claim her world. With war looming on all horizons, the only chance for salvation lies in a desperate quest that may mark the end of everything Aelin holds dear.

Aelin's journey from assassin to queen has entranced millions across the globe, and this fifth installment will leave fans breathless. Will Aelin succeed in keeping her world from splintering, or will it all come crashing down?



All I can say is: ahhhhh!

The Creeping Shadow by Jonathan Stroud
The Creeping Shadow (Lockwood & Co. #4)Lucy has left Lockwood & Co. A freelance operative, she is hiring herself out to other agencies – agencies that might value her ever-improving skills.
But now Lockwood needs her help.

Penelope Fittes, leader of the well-renowned Fittes Agency wants Lockwood & Co. – and only them – to locate and remove the ‘Source’ for the legendary Brixton Cannibal.

It’s a tough assignment. Made worse by the tensions between Lucy and the other agents – even the skull is treating her like a jilted lover!

What will it take to reunite the team? Black marketeers, an informant ghost, a Spirit Cape that transports the wearer, and mysteries involving their closest rivals may just do the trick.

But not all is at it seems. And it’s not long before a shocking revelation rocks Lockwood & Co. to its very core . . .



I have been looking forward to this all year. I read it almost immediately and finished it in 3 days - it was so damn good!
The Wicked + The Divine, Vol. 1: The Faust Act
The Wicked and the Divine by Kieron Gillen
Every ninety years, twelve gods incarnate as humans. They are loved. They are hated. In two years, they are dead. The team behind critical tongue-attractors like Young Avengers and PHONOGRAM reunite to create a world where gods are the ultimate pop stars and pop stars are the ultimate gods. But remember: just because you’re immortal, doesn’t mean you’re going to live forever.


I picked this up as a non-Marvel or DC graphic novel and I've heard great things about it so can't wait to dive in to this world. Speaking of graphic novels, my friend Alyce has got me into the new DC Rebirth of Harley Quinn, so for the first time ever I'm collecting comic books!

October TBR
So I've got Empire of Storms before the Lit Fest, I'm planning on reading Dracula and possible The Woman In White by Wilkie Collins for Halloween classics, and I've got a review e-copy of Holding Up the Universe which is due out on the 6th. Anything else I should be keeping my eye out for this month? And what are you guys hoping to read in October?

No comments:

Post a Comment