Sunday 19 July 2015

Weekly Highlights: the 'Pre-YALC' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things!

The last two weeks haven't been that exciting. I've had a couple of interviews and am waiting to hear back. I've been volunteering and reading and generally keeping busy. And then of course this weekend it was YALC! I'll talk about all the swag and books I picked up next week, as right now I'm too tired! I'm really bummed I couldn't go both days but hope everyone has fun today. I, on the other hand, will be spending today in bed, with my book, and some tea, recuperating! 


On The Blog
Review of My Secret Rockstar Boyfriend by Eleanor Wood (4 stars)
Review of Killer Game by Kirsty McKay (5 stars)
Review of To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han (4 stars)
Review of All The Bright Places by Jennifer Niven (4.5 stars)
Review of The Rain by Virginia Bergin (4 stars)
Review of One by Sarah Crossan (4.5 stars)

Currently Reading
Darkmere by Helen Maslin - not very far though, am planning on staying in bed all morning to read it, but good so far!

On My Bookshelf
The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman
Irene must be at the top of her game or she'll be off the case - permanently...

Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, which harvests fiction from different realities. And along with her enigmatic assistant Kai, she's posted to an alternative London. Their mission - to retrieve a dangerous book. But when they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions seem prepared to fight to the very death to find herbook.

Adding to the jeopardy, this world is chaos-infested - the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic. Irene's new assistant is also hiding secrets of his own.

Soon, she's up to her eyebrows in a heady mix of danger, clues and secret societies. Yet failure is not an option - the nature of reality itself is at stake.


I couldn't resist - I'd heard great things from an old work friend and when I spotted it in Amazon's summer ebook sale, it was like fate!


Suicide Notes From Beautiful Girls by Lynn Weingarten
June barely has time to mourn the death of her best friend Delia, before Delia's ex-boyfriend convinces her Delia was murdered, and June is swept into a tangle of lies, deceit, and conspiracy.

Everything Everything by Nicola Yoon
My disease is as rare as it is famous. Basically, I’m allergic to the world. I don’t leave my house, have not left my house in seventeen years. The only people I ever see are my mom and my nurse, Carla.

But then one day, a moving truck arrives next door. I look out my window, and I see him. He’s tall, lean and wearing all black—black T-shirt, black jeans, black sneakers, and a black knit cap that covers his hair completely. He catches me looking and stares at me. I stare right back. His name is Olly.

Maybe we can’t predict the future, but we can predict some things. For example, I am certainly going to fall in love with Olly. It’s almost certainly going to be a disaster.

These two I pinched from my old staff room at Waterstones - it's good thing they still like me! I've heard great things about both of them so I'm really looking forward to reading them.

No comments:

Post a Comment