Wednesday 20 August 2014

Wake by Lisa McMann

NOT ALL DREAMS ARE SWEET.

For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime.

She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control.

Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....


Because this was a very short (just over 200 pages) book and I don't actually have much to say about it, I'm gonna bullet point it. Partly because it's easier to read and partly because I'm just plain lazy! So let's go!
  • Much shorter than I expected. Not just in the number of pages but the actual story too.
  • Her dream power explained with the occasional flashbacks, quite clever and much more interesting to read, as quickly understood how she developed and got used to them
  • Not as "psycho thriller" as I thought it would be - I was right in that she was sucked into a stranger's weird dream but as it was a boy from school and he was dreaming about his idiot father. Yes, very strange to be wanting to kill him with Wolverine claws, but with all the other weirdness people dream, not that crazy. 
  • I really felt for Janie, she had this unwanted power to see into people's psyche's and no-one wants the illusion of their mother or best friend shattered. 
  • Definitely felt like the first book in a series - many things were explained as best they could be, which in some cases was "I have no idea where this power came from, I just put up with it". But there were others things, the possibility of others like her that were hinted at but not fulling explored. 
  • All in all, a good read but not what I expected. Don't think I'll bother with the rest of the series; while I liked the characters and the story well enough, I don't particularly care to see what happens next, although I'm sure it would be a good story.

Published 23rd December 2008 by Simon Pulse.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a shame! I absolutely loved this book and trilogy. The third book in the series is very different from the first two though and I found that a bit jarring to me.

    ReplyDelete