Sunday 22 December 2013

Weekly Highlights: the 'December' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things! 

This is basically the month of December, as I haven't bought any new books til now so I hadn't bothered with Weekly Highlights. Therefore, so I'm not clogging up the post, I'll just link to the few posts I actually want you to read!

In other non-bookish news, you may know that I finally found work last month. Well, it was only temporary, so after the New Year, it'll be back to job hunting. Hopefully something that doesn't leave me with bruises and headaches! Wish me luck!

On The Blog
Review of Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell (5 stars) - technically the end of November, but it has become one of my favourite books that I couldn't resist!
Review of Crash Into You by Katie McGarry (5 stars)
Review of The Host by Stephanie Meyer (5 stars) - book and film
Discussion of Top Books I Haven't Read Yet

Huh, the reviews I posted this week haven't made the list, but I will link them here anyway, because you should still read them and spread the comment love! (The Soterion Mission and Cross My Heart)

Currently Reading
The Future Of Us by Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler - it is very funny and weird so far, in a 'I get that joke, but you don't because it shouldn't be happening to you' sort of way. But good, definitely good!

On My Bookshelf
I was bad and had a bit of spree in The Works. To be fair, I did get Christmas presents as well, but yeah... probably shouldn't be let loose in there!

Beautiful Chaos by Gary Russell
Wilfred Mott is very happy: his granddaughter, Donna, is back home, catching up with family and gossiping about her journeys, and he has just discovered a new star and had it named after him. He takes the Tenth Doctor with him to the naming ceremony. But the Doctor soon discovers something else new, and worryingly bright, in the heavens – something that is heading for Earth. It's an ancient force from the Dark Times. And it is very, very angry.

Girl About Time by Kerstin Gier
Every family has secrets. But what do you do if you find out that you are the family secret That's what happens to Gwen when she finds herself unbelievably transported from out on the town to turn of the century London. It's enough to make any girl dizzy.

Under The Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
Aria is a teenager in the enclosed city of Reverie. Like all Dwellers, she spends her time with friends in virtual environments, called Realms, accessed through an eyepiece called a Smarteye. Aria enjoys the Realms and the easy life in Reverie. When she is forced out of the pod for a crime she did not commit, she believes her death is imminent. The outside world is known as The Death Shop, with danger in every direction.

As an Outsider, Perry has always known hunger, vicious predators, and violent energy storms from the swirling electrified atmosphere called the Aether. A bit of an outcast even among his hunting tribe, Perry withstands these daily tests with his exceptional abilities, as he is gifted with powerful senses that enable him to scent danger, food and even human emotions.

They come together reluctantly, for Aria must depend on Perry, whom she considers abarbarian, to help her get back to Reverie, while Perry needs Aria to help unravel the mystery of his beloved nephew’s abduction by the Dwellers. Together they embark on a journey challenged as much by their prejudices as by encounters with cannibals and wolves. But to their surprise, Aria and Perry forge an unlikely love - one that will forever change the fate of all who live UNDER THE NEVER SKY


The Blessed by Tonya Hurley
From the author of the New York Times bestselling ghostgirl series, the start to a captivating and haunting teen trilogy about three girls who become entangled with an enigmatic boy—a boy who believes he is a saint.

What if martyrs and saints lived among us? And what if you were told you were one of them?
Meet Agnes, Cecilia, and Lucy. Three lost girls, each searching for something. But what they find is Beyond Belief.


2 comments:

  1. Under the Never Sky is really good. I really need to get around to reading book two before the final part of the trilogy comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for The Works. I really need to read Under the Never Sky. I have that and the sequel on my shelf! Fingers crossed for another job in the new year :-)

    ReplyDelete