Sunday 24 November 2013

Weekly Highlights: the 'fortnight' edition


Weekly Highlights is a feature borrowed from Faye of A Daydreamer's Thoughts, where I get to highlight my posts of the week, show you my new books and talk about bookish things! 

So, I didn't do this last week, I sort of forgot. News from the last fortnight include some new books, plenty of reviews and starting the new job! It's going pretty well so far, and it's only part-time so it shouldn't suck up too much of my reading and blogging time but we'll have to see. But back to the books: I've managed to keep the reviews going up twice a week, and I got some pretties from awesome friends!

On The Blog
Review of After Eden by Helen Douglas (3.5 stars)
Review of Daylighters by Rachel Caine (5 stars)
Review of Hooked by Liz Fichera (3 stars)
Review of Myopia by Jeff Gardiner (4 stars)

Netgalley November update: you may have forgotten, but I am actually participating in Netgalley Nov and so far I've read three and am on my fourth, but one of those wasn't actually for Netgalley. Maybe cheating, but I'm justifying it because it was for review and I've had it since before summer! I'm well on track to read the 4 ebooks I set out to, so doing well!


Currently Reading
Onto my fourth ebook for Netgalley Nov: If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan. Also, having finally finished Under My Hat, I'm treating myself to Eleanor And Park by Rainbow Rowell.

On My Bookshelf
Delirium by Lauren Oliver
There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it. Then, at last, they found the cure.

Now, everything is different. Scientist are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Haloway has always looked forward to the day when she'll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But then, with only ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable...


A pretty good find in my charity shop - can't resist a pretty-ful hardback!

The Naturals by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Cassie Hobbes is not like most teenagers. Most teenagers don’t lose their mother in a bloody, unsolved kidnapping. Most teenagers can’t tell who you are, where you’re from and how you’re likely to behave within moments of meeting you. And most teenagers don’t get chosen to join The Naturals.

Identified by the FBI as uniquely gifted, Cassie is recruited to an elite school where a small number of teens are trained to hone their exceptional abilites.

For Cassie, trying to make friends with the girls, and to figure out the two very different, very hot boys, is challenging enough. But when a serial killer begins recreating the details of her mother’s horrific crime scene, she realises just how dangerous life in The Naturals could be...

Long Live the Queen by Kate Locke
Xandra Vardan thought life would be simpler when she accepted the goblin crown and became their queen, but life has only become more complicated. Everyone -- vampires, werewolves and humans -- wants the goblins on their side, because whoever has the goblins -- wins. 

Queen Victoria wants her head, Alpha wolf Vex wants her heart, and she still doesn't know the identity of the person who wanted her blood. What she does know is that a project from one of the 'secret' aristocrat labs has gotten free and she's the only one who can stop the perfect killing machine -- a sixteen year-old girl. With human zealots intent on ridding the world of anyone with plagued blood and supernatural politics taking Britain to the verge of civil war, Xandra's finding out that being queen isn't all it's cracked up to be, and if she doesn't do something fast, hers will be the shortest reign in history. 

These two are hand-me-downs from Sophie of So Many Books, So Little Time - thank you Sophie, they both look awesome!

Twinmaker by Sean Williams
Clair is pretty sure the offer in the ‘Improvement' meme is just another viral spam, though Libby is determined to give it a try.


But what starts as Libby's dream turns into Clair's nightmare when her friend vanishes. In her search for answers, Clair seeks out Jesse - a boy whose alternative lifestyle might help to uncover the truth. What they don't anticipate is intervention from the mysterious contact known only as Q, and being caught up in a conspiracy that will change everything.

And this is from Debbie from Snuggling on the Sofa - thank you very much, Debbie, it looks so cool!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh I hope you enjoy If You Could Be Mine; will have to tell me what you think! And you MUST like Eleanor and Park ;) SO COOL that you found a hardback of Delirium- I think its much better than the pb!

    ReplyDelete